Topic: Be Doers Of The Word
TEXT: Romans 2:17-29(NKJV)
17. Indeed you are called a Jew, and rest on the law, and make your boast in God,
18. and know [His] will, and approve the things that are excellent, being instructed out of the law,
19. and are confident that you yourself are a guide to the blind, a light to those who are in darkness,
20. an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes, having the form of knowledge and truth in the law.
- You, therefore, who teach another, do you not teach yourself? You who preach that a man should not steal, do you steal?
- You who say, “Do not commit adultery,” do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples?
- You who make your boast in the law, do you dishonor God through breaking the law?
- For “the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you,” as it is written.
- For circumcision is indeed profitable if you keep the law; but if you are a breaker of the law, your circumcision has become uncircumcision.
Therefore, if an uncircumcised man keeps the righteous requirements of the law, will not his uncircumcision be counted as circumcision?
- And will not the physically uncircumcised, if he fulfills the law, judge you who, [even] with [your] written [code] and circumcision, [are] a transgressor of the law?
For he is not a Jew who [is one] outwardly, nor [is] circumcision that which [is] outward in the flesh;
but [he is] a Jew who [is one] inwardly; and circumcision [is that] of the heart, in the Spirit, not in the letter; whose praise [is] not from men but from God.
STUDY: The rules and principles that guide our earthly existence are documented in the Word of God. To examine ourselves, we must pass our earthly problems through the scrutiny of God’s words. And most times when we do this, we find out that we are suffering the consequences of disobeying the commandments of God. For one to be a guide to the blind, one must not be blind also. A light to those who are in darkness must not be darkness itself. One mocks himself to preach against stealing yet steals, preach against adultery yet lives like a dog in adultery, preach against lies and yet is a blatant liar!
To boast of the Law and still break the same Law is wickedness, to call upon the name of God but refuse to depart from iniquity is both an insult to God and an abomination! These are the deeds of God’s blasphemers! Circumcision indeed is of value if you obey the law and keep the precepts of the law. True worshippers of God are simply those who keep the laws of God. Let us be doers of the word, a replica of the word and written epistles, not jokers and noise makers in the house of God!
PRAYER: God, please help me to be a doer of your words in Jesus’ name. Amen.
Daily Fountain Quote of the Day
“He trusted in the Lord God of Israel … For he held fast to the Lord; he did not depart from following Him, but kept His commandments … The Lord was with him; he prospered wherever he went.” (2 Kings 18:5-7)
Anglican Daily Fountain Devotional 17 September 2021 Message. The Church of Nigeria is the Anglican church in Nigeria. It is the second-largest province in the Anglican Communion, as measured by baptized membership, after the Church of England.