Topic: Sexual Purity
Opening Prayer: Plant my steps in the sure promises of your word today, dear Lord.
Today’s Scripture: Deuteronomy 22:13-30
Question(s) for Reflection
• Is there any command for me to obey?
Scripture Union Daily Guide 14th February 2021 Message:
Israelites who have been chosen by God to reflect His love and holiness must observe the highest standards of morality in sexual matters. The passage makes it clear that
1. Sexual intercourse is approved only between married couples – (Heb 13: 4). Any extra-marital relationship is forbidden.
2. In most cases where an unlawful relationship develops between a man and a woman, the two are to be held responsible.
3. Decency is expected when a man interrelates with a woman.
4. Sexual intercourse is forbidden between relatives.
Notice how God values virginity and hates an unmarried girl getting pregnant in her parents’ house. The strict penalties prescribed show how God views the offences. Even though morality does not attract the death penalty in our law courts today, many men and women have passed the death sentence on themselves with sexual sin. This is reflected in the number of people suffering and dying from sexually transmitted diseases.
The world may be trying to dodge the issue by promoting the so-called ‘safe sex’, but God’s standard remains the only guarantee against such death. We shall therefore be wise to enlist God’s help to keep us pure and so enable us to decisively deal with lust any moment it shows up. What should be our attitude towards sexual immorality and why (1 Cor. 6: 15-20 cf. 1 Cor. 3: 16-17)?
• And so what? Whatever may be happening around us, God expects His children to remain sexually pure. Are you?
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Pray for the moral life of our nation and the church as well. • Pray for the activities of interdenominational Christian fellowships – OF NC, ACF etc. – in their ministry to foreigners
Offer a prayer of faith in line with
• Isa. 59-61; Mark 14:1-26
Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.