God’s ways of operating are completely different than man’s ways, and much more effective in
changing us for the better and causing us to want to live godly. The world uses punishment and
threats to correct our behavior; by contrast, God uses mercy and forgiveness. The absence of
condemnation gives us the power to overcome what once overcame us. To convince us to reject
the world and its sinful ways, God continually reminds us how attractive and beautiful heaven
is. He also instructs us to declare in faith the passing away of earth, which is temporary. Yielding
ourselves to Him allows Him to work through us to reach others through empathy and
compassion, not through judgment. We must not settle for what we see around us, but instead
focus on Jesus and on heaven because the best is yet to come.
1. Jesus does not condemn or judge us for our sins; He instead shows us grace.
2. God wants to keep His people from being influenced by worldly things; however, His
approach is different from condemnation. He does not condemn the unsaved, but many
3. It is not our job as Christians to convict people of the sins they already know they are
committing; we must let the Holy Spirit lead the way in this area. He convinces them that
their lifestyle will not produce the results they want.
4. One method God uses to draw people’s hearts away from worldly things is by setting
before us the stability and attractiveness of things that are above. Heaven is eternal. We
must live our lives in constant expectation of Jesus.
5. Another method God uses to draw people’s hearts away from worldly things is by
faithfully declaring the imminent passing out of sight of the physical and the natural; the
quickly fading, shakable nature of earthly things, for earth is temporary