TOPIC: White As Snow!
Opening prayer: May my heart, O Lord, be receptive to your word as I meditate on it.
Scripture: Jeremiah 50:18–32
• What does the passage teach about God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit?
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• Is there any promise for me to believe or hope for?
Scripture Union Daily Guide 2nd December 2020
Help me discipline my child is not a whole–hearted request from the parent’ (Yoruba adage). You dare not overdo it. God appointed the Babylonians to discipline his people, but they went beyond God’s intended limit. They also ascribed their victory over Israel and other nations to their power and their idols. Now God is out to redeem his people (v.19). Since Babylon will not release them, God had to raise another nation to effects their deliverance. Notice the actions God promises to take against Babylon in vv.18, 23, 25–29. Apart from the deliverance of his people, notice the other main reason Babylon would be facing serious punishment (vv.31–32).
Pride and none regard for the God of heaven and earth characterised the life of the Babylonians. They were overconfident and saw themselves as invincible. Now God declares his punishment for them. Pride makes you feel self–sufficient, self–righteous and in no need for God, especially if you are rich. God’s response in v.20 to Israel’s repentance and plea for forgiveness is very reassuring to all his children (compare Isaiah 1:18; Jeremiah 31:33–34; 1 John 1:9). That promise has its complete fulfilment in Christ who shed his blood to permanently erase our sins.
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• And so: How does the knowledge that you have been rescued from the Kingdom of darkness and translated into the kingdom of God affect your daily life?
• I thank you dear Lord because your blood cleanses all my sins and totally erases its record.
• Praise God for who He is ─ the King of kings, Almighty, Holy and Righteous, all Powerful, Unchangeable, Kind and Merciful beyond measure, beautiful for every situation.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Job 5:23
Read the Bible in one Year
2 Chron. 30–31; Luke 10:25–42
Scripture Union Daily Guide 2nd December 2020 – Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.