Scripture Union Daily Guide 15th June 2020
Topic: Divine Guidance for Every Battle
Opening Prayer: Lord, let the light of your word shine into my life as I meditate on your word.
Scripture: 2 Samuel 5:17–25
• What does the passage teach about God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit?
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• What is God revealing to me in this passage?
Outline: Note that David’s anointing and enthronement as king over Israel brought him and the kingdom new challenges from their archenemy, the Philistines (vv.17, 18, 22). How did David face these new challenges? See vv.19, 20, 22–25.
Observe the following actions of David in handling the challenges. David was informed of the enemy’s ploy ─ v.17 David moved into a strategically defended territory ─ v.17 David inquired of the Lord for guidance and for divine help ─ vv.19 and 23. Note particularly that for each attack of the enemy, David did not presume on previous experiences to face the enemy, but on each occasion, he inquired of the Lord, and got a new and different strategy for his approach against the enemy (Proverbs 3:5,6).
David followed the divine instructions received with precision ─ vv.19b,20a,23–25. The outcome of David’s actions to the challenges posed by his enemies was a resounding victory over them. Alongside the strategic instructions for David’s actions (faith and works ─ James 2:17,24), was God’s own personal involvement in the battle that guaranteed the victory for David (vv.19b, 24). Notice his response to God’s involvement in the victories he got (v.20b).
• So What? Be aware that the enemy can assault us at any moment, especially, when we have new opportunities to serve God’s people. Whatever the challenges may be, let us seek the Lord’s guidance and intervention.
• Lord, help me seek, trust and obey you in all of my life’s endeavours.
• Thank God for His love, making the way for the gospel train to keep moving on in spite of oppositions. Pray against laws in Europe, U.S.A. and Canada that are repressing Christians, under the false guise of freedom, diversity and inclusiveness.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Genesis 17:4a
Read the Bible in one Year
Jer. 30–31; Matt. 26: 1–25
Scripture Union Daily Guide 15th June 2020 – Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.