Topic: The Abomination That Causes Desolation!
Opening Prayer: Dear Lord, I pray that you order my steps today through your word as I meditate on it.
Scripture: Matthew 24: 15-22
Question(s) for Reflection
• Is there any warning for me to heed?
• Is there any prayer for me to remember?
• Is there any other Biblical passage that can help me understand this passage better?
Scripture Union Daily Guide 15 September 2021 Outline:
Signs of the end time given by Jesus in this and other passages of the Bible are still happening around us today. Today’s passage focuses on ‘the abomination that causes desolation’ and offers several warnings and advice around it.
Let us examine this closely.
1. The reader is called to or expected to understand (v.15): The word ‘abomination’ carries the meaning of something that defiles a person, a place or an object, a great sin worthy of death (see Leviticus 18:22-30) or associated with pagan idols (Deuteronomy 7:25, 13:6-16). The word ‘desolate’ is associated with a condition that is uninhabitable and devastated.
2. It was spoken of through the Prophet Daniel (see Daniel 9:27; 11:31 and 12:11): Daniel 9:26-27 refers to a prince who will destroy the city (Jerusalem) along with its Temple and sacrifices. Chapter 11:31 refers to an ‘abomination’ again connected to the Temple.
Whereas some Bible Scholars suggest that the near fulfilment of Daniel’s prophecy could refer to the reign of Antiochus IV, Jesus clearly relates this event to the future date (cf.,2Thessalonians 2:1-9; Revelation 13:11-16). Do not allow yourself to be deceived. Be guided by these clear signs of His second coming. What do you think is the significance of the three warnings given to the reader (vs.16-18)?
Notice that the reader is invited to pray. Prayer enables the believer to gain clarity of God’s plans, promises and presence, thus enabling him to withstand situations of great distress.
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Lord, please grant me courage to stand firm in times of trial.
• Pray against the syndrome of sit-tight leadership in some countries.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with Exodus 15:2-3;Lam. 1-2; John 6:22-44
Scripture Union Daily Guide 15 September 2021. Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God