TOPIC: Is Your Name There?
TEXT: 1 Chronicles 2:34-55
34. Now Sheshan had no sons, but daughters. And Sheshan had a servant, an Egyptian, whose name was Jarha.
35. And Sheshan gave his daughter to Jarha his servant to wife; and she bare him Attai.
36. And Attai begat Nathan, and Nathan begat Zabad,
37. And Zabad begat Ephlal, and Ephlal begat Obed,
38. And Obed begat Jehu, and Jehu begat Azariah,
39. And Azariah begat Helez, and Helez begat Eleasah,
40. And Eleasah begat Sisamai, and Sisamai begat Shallum,
41. And Shallum begat Jekamiah, and Jekamiah begat Elishama.
42. Now the sons of Caleb the brother of Jerahmeel were, Mesha his firstborn, which was the father of Ziph; and the sons of Mareshah the father of Hebron.
43. And the sons of Hebron; Korah, and Tappuah, and Rekem, and Shema.
44. And Shema begat Raham, the father of Jorkoam; and Rekem begat Shammai.45. And the son of Shammai was Maon; and Maon was the father of Bethzur.
46. And Ephah, Caleb’s concubine, bare Haran, and Moza, and Gazez; and Haran begat Gazez.
47. And the sons of Jahdai; Regem, and Jotham, and Geshan, and Pelet, and Ephah, and Shaaph.
48. Maachah, Caleb’s concubine, bare Sheber, and Tirhanah.
49. She bare also Shaaph the father of Madmannah, Sheva the father of Machbenah, and the father of Gibea; and the daughter of Caleb was Achsah.
50. These were the sons of Caleb the son of Hur, the firstborn of Ephratah; Shobal the father of Kirjathjearim,
51. Salma the father of Bethlehem, Hareph the father of Bethgader.
52. And Shobal the father of Kirjathjearim had sons; Haroeh, and half of the Manahethites.
53. And the families of Kirjathjearim; the Ithrites, and the Puhites, and the Shumathites, and the Mishraites; of them came the Zareathites, and the Eshtaulites.
54. The sons of Salma; Bethlehem, and the Netophathites, Ataroth, the house of Joab, and half of the Manahethites, the Zorites.
55. And the families of the scribes which dwelt at Jabez; the Tirathites, the Shimeathites, and Suchathites. These are the Kenites that came of Hemath, the father of the house of Rechab.
“Now the sons of Caleb the brother of Jerahmeel were, Mesha his firstborn, which was the father of Ziph; and the sons of Mareshah the father of Hebron.” – (1 Chronicles 2:42)
Deeper Life Daily Manna Wednesday 24th February 2021 Message
Abraham begat Isaac, Isaac begat Jacob and Jacob begat Judas and his brethren” (Matthew 1:2); thus, the Bible began the genealogy of our Lord Jesus Christ. A parallel passage traced the genealogy to “Adam which was the son of God” (Luke 3:23-38). The records of genealogy played vital roles in Israel. As a nation, it helped them to identify true Israelites and those whose genealogy could not be ascertained, were denied the privileges of service.
God’s promise to Abraham that his seed shall be as “the stars of heaven”, came to pass. Israel was also a chosen nation, separated unto God. So, in our text, we see the records of the names of some of the children of Judah. Judah was particularly significant because through his lineage came David and Christ. These records bear a testimony of God’s faithfulness in keeping His word.
Record-keeping is very important. And that is why God often instructs His servants “…what thou seest, write in a book” (Revelation 1:11). The children of Israel were very good record-keepers. They carefully kept and preserved their genealogies. And yet, there is another “Book of genealogy”. This one is not kept by Israel nor by any man. There in that Book are the names of “the redeemed… the ransomed of the LORD”. This “Book of genealogy” is so important that any person whose name is not found therein shall be cast into the Lake of fire.
Whatever great message one is used of God to preach, whatever charitable deeds, signs or wonders; the greatest of them all is that one’s name is written in that Book of Life. Is your name there? Have you repented? Have you made Jesus Christ your Lord and Saviour? If not, you have to repent of your sins, confess and forsake them for your name to enter the Book.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Make sure your name is in God’s Book of genealogy of the redeemed.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
Deeper Life Daily Manna 24th February 2021 DCLM Devotional Message was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.