Topic: Speaking God’s Word
TEXT: Jeremiah 23:23-32
23. Am I a God at hand, saith the LORD, and not a God afar off?
24. Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD.
25. I have heard what the prophets said, that prophesy lies in my name, saying, I have dreamed, I have dreamed.
26. How long shall this be in the heart of the prophets that prophesy lies? yea, they are prophets of the deceit of their own heart;
27. Which think to cause my people to forget my name by their dreams which they tell every man to his neighbour, as their fathers have forgotten my name for Baal.
28. The prophet that hath a dream, let him tell a dream; and he that hath my word, let him speak my word faithfully. What is the chaff to the wheat? saith the LORD.
29. Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?
30. Therefore, behold, I am against the prophets, saith the LORD, that steal my words every one from his neighbour.
31. Behold, I am against the prophets, saith the LORD, that use their tongues, and say, He saith.
32. Behold, I am against them that prophesy false dreams, saith the LORD, and do tell them, and cause my people to err by their lies, and by their lightness; yet I sent them not, nor commanded them; therefore they shall not profit this people at all, saith the LORD.
“The prophet that hath a dream, let him tell a dream; and he that hath my word, let him speak my word faithfully. What is the chaff to the wheat? saith the LORD.” – (Jeremiah 23:28
True prophets are called and ordained to bring men to God. False prophets on the other hand use lies and deceits to turn men away from God into their damnations. Our text compares and contrasts true prophets and false prophets.
False prophets have one stock-in-trade which is purporting to hear from God through dreams when God had said nothing. They mistake their vain imaginations in dreams to be revelations from God and through that, lead men away from God into damnations.
The word of God is not a deceitful message. God’s words are the instructions by which men are taught the knowledge of the Almighty and about themselves. Through God’s word, men are redeemed from their evil ways and are guided on how to walk and please the Lord in their heavenward journey. God’s words free us, protect us, make us wise and bring joy and light. They are guidelines and lights on our paths rather than chains on our hands and feet. They point at evil and warn us. They point us to success and guide or direct us.
To speak God’s word is a great and sacred duty which mortal men should do carefully. The way we speak it and live it will encourage men either to receive or reject it. Those who speak God’s word must ensure that they speak accurately, truthfully and faithfully so as to ensure they are not leading men away from God into damnation. Do we speak to make men feel at ease even though they rebel and disobey God? Do we speak to make men happy even when His judgment is hovering over them? Is our message hardening the hearers in sin or causing them to be pricked in their hearts so as to repent in dust and ashes? Speak the Word today and liberate the souls of men.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
The Word is infinitely superior to earthly possessions.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 5th May 2021 Devotional Message was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.