TOPIC: Laziness Is Evil
TEXT: Proverbs 24:21-34
21. My son, fear thou the LORD and the king; and meddle not with them that are given to change;
22. For their calamity shall rise suddenly; and who knoweth the ruin of them both?
23. These things also belong to the wise. It is not good to have respect of persons in judgment.
24. He that saith unto the wicked, Thou art righteous; him shall the people curse, nations shall abhor him;
25. But to them that rebuke him shall be delight, and a good blessing shall come upon them.
26. Every man shall kiss his lips that giveth a right answer.
27. Prepare thy work without, and make it fit for thyself in the field; and afterwards build thine house.
28. Be not a witness against thy neighbour without cause; and deceive not with thy lips.
29. Say not, I will do so to him as he hath done to me; I will render to the man according to his work.
30. I went by the field of the slothful, and by the vineyard of the man void of understanding;
31. And, lo, it was all grown over with thorns, and nettles had covered the face thereof, and the stone wall thereof was broken down.
32. Then I saw, and considered it well; I looked upon it, and received instruction.
33. Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep;
34. So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth; and thy want as an armed man.
“I went by the field of the slothful, and by the vineyard of the man void of understanding;And, lo, it was all grown over with thorns, and nettles had covered the face thereof, and the stone wall thereof was broken down.” – (Proverbs 24:30,31)
DCLM Daily Manna 2nd December 2020 Devotional MESSAGE:
Laziness is a clear demonstration of foolishness and stupidity. When an individual sleeps when he is expected to be working, he will surely come to poverty, disgrace and despicable treatment by the neighbours.
Apart from giving admonition on good conduct of citizens in a society, our text counsels against idleness, slothfulness and laziness. Likewise, Proverbs 10:4 says, “He becometh poor that dealeth with a slack hand: but the hand of the diligent maketh rich.”
Some people spend their time in unprofitable gossip and tale-bearing instead of engaging in profitable enterprises. Laziness brings embarrassment, disgrace and sorrow to a person. It brings reproach to God and shame to the relations and acquaintances. A lazy person loses respect and self-dignity. He does not receive honour from anyone. It is needful for everyone to seek and acquire some skill with which to be gainfully employed. If he has gone to school, he should prayerfully seek a good employment. With the help of God, even when things seem tough, he can still get a good job.
Every believer, therefore, needs to work hard to be able to feed his family, give for God’s work and help others so as to lift up the glory of God. God hates laziness and wants all His people to be busy doing something useful. True salvation through Christ and a close walk with Him will enhance the progress of such a believer “for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth…” (Deuteronomy 8:18).
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Work hard to earn a good living.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 2nd December 2020 Devotional Message was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.