TEXT: Don’t Ruin The Record
TEXT: Numbers 6:1-12
1. And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
2. Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When either man or woman shall separate themselves to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to separate themselves unto the LORD;
3. He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.
4. All the days of his separation shall he eat nothing that is made of the vine tree, from the kernels even to the husk.
5. All the days of the vow of his separation there shall no razor come upon his head; until the days be fulfilled, in the which he separateth himself unto the LORD, he shall be holy, and shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow.
6. All the days that he separateth himself unto the LORD he shall come at no dead body.
7. He shall not make himself unclean for his father, or for his mother, for his brother, or for his sister, when they die; because the consecration of his God is upon his head.
8. All the days of his separation he is holy unto the LORD.
9. And if any man die very suddenly by him, and he hath defiled the head of his consecration; then he shall shave his head in the day of his cleansing, on the seventh day shall he shave it.
10. And on the eighth day he shall bring two turtles, or two young pigeons, to the priest, to the door of the tabernacle of the congregation;
11. And the priest shall offer the one for a sin offering, and the other for a burnt offering, and make an atonement for him, for that he sinned by the dead, and shall hallow his head that same day.
12. And he shall consecrate unto the LORD the days of his separation, and shall bring a lamb of the first year for a trespass offering; but the days that were before shall be lost, because his separation was defiled.
“And he shall consecrate unto the LORD the days of his separation, and shall bring a lamb of the first year for a trespass offering: but the days that were before shall be lost, because his separation was defiled.” – (Numbers 6:12)
DCLM Daily Manna 25th November 2021 MESSAGE:
When someone approaches his retirement age in the civil service or any other establishment, he tends to be more careful with his works as he does not want any act that would tarnish all the years he has put in. There have been cases of people who had kept a good record all through the many years they had served in an organisation only to have such clean record spoilt by a foolish act of crime or carelessness.
Our passage today focuses on the vow and consecration of a Nazarite. Emphasis is placed on what should characterise the lifestyle of such a person. Of particular note is the fact that the person must guard against everything that can get him defiled either deliberately or accidentally. He owes it a duty to seriously keep himself from defilement. If he, by chance, gets defiled either through a deliberate act or accidentally, he has voided his consecration and all the years he has put in are considered wasted. He will have to make atonement for his sins and start all over again.
It is appalling to realise that one wrong act of sin can completely ruin all the years of righteous records one has set. Sin cancels all the good account. God does not operate by the wrong idea of weighing our good acts against our bad acts. There must be no sin at all; no matter how small or insignificant it may appear before men. Again, no excuse will be tolerated for sin and defilement. It does not matter if it is deliberate, well calculated or it is unintentional. Sin is sin and it is polluting and damning.
Once we have made the decision to consecrate our lives to the Lord and live a righteous life, we must take it upon ourselves to consciously guard against sin. We cannot afford to be careless with our Christian lives. Yes, the grace of God is abundantly available to help us live the life that pleases Him but grace does not absolve us from our personal responsibilities. We must see to it that we are watchful at all times.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Don’t waste your years of consecration by an act of sin!
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 25 November 2021 | Deeper Life Devotional Message was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.