TOPIC: Prepare The Way Of The Lord!
TEXT: Luke 3:1-9(NKJV)
1. Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, Pontius Pilate being governor of Judea, Herod being tetrarch of Galilee, his brother Philip tetrarch of Iturea and the region of Trachonitis, and Lysanias tetrarch of Abilene,
2. while Annas and Caiaphas were high priests, the word of God came to John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness.
3. And he went into all the region around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins,
4. as it is written in the book of the words of Isaiah the prophet, saying: “The voice of one crying in the wilderness: ‘Prepare the way of the LORD; Make His paths straight.
5. Every valley shall be filled And every mountain and hill brought low; The crooked places shall be made straight And the rough ways smooth;
6. And all flesh shall see the salvation of God.’ ”
7. Then he said to the multitudes that came out to be baptized by him, “Brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
8. “Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance, and do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as [our] father.’ For I say to you that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones.
9. “And even now the ax is laid to the root of the trees. Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.”
STUDY: Today, we hear the voice of John crying in the wilderness asking us to prepare the way of the Lord. Preparing the way of Lord means to clear aside the baggage of the past and doubt so at Jesus can come in and this can be done by making straight every crooked thing in our lives.
Specifically, we are to make straight His path and this requires forthrightness and holiness, without deceit.
It’s an anomaly for a Christian to cheat! We are also to fill the valleys. Some Christians put up behaviours that are below godly expectations; even some who claim to be mature in the faith still indulge in secret sins of lying, cheating, greed, and even sexual immorality. In relation to this, verse 8 tells us to bear fruits that befit repentance. We are expected to bring low every mountain, meaning, we should deal with every excesses in our lives such as gluttony, drunkenness,etc.
These things overload and will not allow you run your heavenly race. We are also required to make straight the crooked places and smoothen the rough roads in your life. Firmly determine now to prepare the way of the Lord, and let Jesus come into your heart.
PRAYER: Great God, please help me to prepare my life for your
Daily Fountain Quote of the Day
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; the God of my strength, in Him I will trust, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge, my Savior, You save me from violence.” (2 Samuel 22:2)
Anglican Daily Fountain Devotional 9th January 2021 Message. The Church of Nigeria is the Anglican church in Nigeria. It is the second-largest province in the Anglican Communion, as measured by baptized membership, after the Church of England.