Topic: Appreciating God’s Grace
TEXT: Luke 1:39-55(NKJV)
39. Now Mary arose in those days and went into the hill country with haste, to a city of Judah,
40. and entered the house of Zacharias and greeted Elizabeth.
41. And it happened, when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, that the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.
42. Then she spoke out with a loud voice and said, “Blessed [are] you among women, and blessed [is] the fruit of your womb!
- “But why [is] this [granted] to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?
- “For indeed, as soon as the voice of your greeting sounded in my ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy.
- “Blessed [is] she who believed, for there will be a fulfillment of those things which were told her from the Lord.”
- And Mary said: “My soul magnifies the Lord,
- And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.
- For He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant; For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed.
For He who is mighty has done great things for me, And holy [is] His name.
- And His mercy [is] on those who fear Him From generation to generation.
He has shown strength with His arm; He has scattered [the] proud in the imagination of their hearts.
He has put down the mighty from [their] thrones, And exalted [the] lowly.
- He has filled [the] hungry with good things, And [the] rich He has sent away empty.
- He has helped His servant Israel, In remembrance of [His] mercy,
- As He spoke to our fathers, To Abraham and to his seed forever.”
STUDY: The nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the day the Church commemorates the birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary. One of the qualities that made her outstanding was her ability to recognise and appreciate the grace that God had towards her and other people.
It is most likely that Mary was not the only virgin in the land of Israel at that time, but it pleased God to favour her with the privilege of giving birth to the Saviour of the world. She did recognise this, and praised God with all her heart. She never saw God’s choice of her as an opportunity to feel larger than life, but rather humbled. Elizabeth, whom we know was barren, was blessed by God with conception few months before Mary became pregnant by the Holy Spirit; Mary visited her.
We see men in our time misconstrue God’s mercy towards them, feeling that their uprightness has earned them the privilege they enjoy.
The Bible says that it is not of him that wills nor of him that runs, but of God that shows mercy. Let us humble ourselves in the face of our uplifting, recognising that it is by His mercies. As God also favours other brethren, let us leam to identify with them in their joy.
PRAYER: Let me recognise You, O Goa, in my moments of success, knowing that every good gift comes from You. Amen.
Daily Fountain Quote of the Day
“Cast your burden on the Lord, and He shall sustain you; He shall not permit the righteous to be moved.” (Psalm 55:22)
Anglican Daily Fountain Devotional 8 September 2021 Message. The Church of Nigeria is the Anglican church in Nigeria. It is the second-largest province in the Anglican Communion, as measured by baptized membership, after the Church of England.