Topic: Enduring Persecution
TEXT: Matthew 10:16-22(NKJV)
16. ” Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.
17. “But beware of men, for they will deliver you up to councils and scourge you in their synagogues.
18. “You will be brought before governors and kings for My sake, as a testimony to them and to the Gentiles.
- “But when they deliver you up, do not worry about how or what you should speak. For it will be given to you in that hour what you should speak;
- “for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.
- “Now brother will deliver up brother to death, and a father [his] child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death.
- “And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved.
STUDY: As sheep in the midst of wolves to be persecuted severely, true disciples must know one thing as they go forth. The first counsel is to be wise and harmless. Jesus told His disciples that living for God would bring persecution but with it comes the opportunity to make known the good news of salvation (v. 16). He told them they would be arrested for the sake of gospel. The persecution would be for the sake of Christ and as a result of the testimonies of the disciples to the world, Jesus warned them to stand firm till the end.
Christians today are seriously facing difficulties and persecutions. Several restrictions are being placed against the testimony of Jesus Christ in several places. Yet, Christians who are true disciples of Christ should never mind the extent or level of persecution in this generation, knowing that many are yet to come to the light of salvation. Therefore, we must prepare well to face whatever form of persecution before us. Note that Jesus told His disciples to stand firm till the end. The same goes for us today. Standing firm to the end is an evidence of our commitment to Jesus.
PRAYER: O Lord, give me the grace to hold on to my faith till the end in Jesus ‘Name. Amen!
Daily Fountain Quote of the Day
“In the day when I cried out, You answered me, and made me bold with strength in my soul.” (Psalm 138:3)
Anglican Daily Fountain Devotional 22 August 2021 Message. The Church of Nigeria is the Anglican church in Nigeria. It is the second-largest province in the Anglican Communion, as measured by baptized membership, after the Church of England.