TOPIC: Victory Assured
TEXT: Joshua 6:1-14(NKJV)
1. Now Jericho was securely shut up because of the children of Israel; none went out, and none came in.
2. And the LORD said to Joshua: “See! I have given Jericho into your hand, its king, [and] the mighty men of valor.
3. “You shall march around the city, all [you] men of war; you shall go all around the city once. This you shall do six days.
4. “And seven priests shall bear seven trumpets of rams’ horns before the ark. But the seventh day you shall march around the city seven times, and the priests shall blow the trumpets.
5. “It shall come to pass, when they make a long [blast] with the ram’s horn, [and] when you hear the sound of the trumpet, that all the people shall shout with a great shout; then the wall of the city will fall down flat. And the people shall go up every man straight before him.”
6. Then Joshua the son of Nun called the priests and said to them, “Take up the ark of the covenant, and let seven priests bear seven trumpets of rams’ horns before the ark of the LORD.”
7. And he said to the people, “Proceed, and march around the city, and let him who is armed advance before the ark of the LORD.”
8. So it was, when Joshua had spoken to the people, that the seven priests bearing the seven trumpets of rams’ horns before the LORD advanced and blew the trumpets, and the ark of the covenant of the LORD followed them.
9. The armed men went before the priests who blew the trumpets, and the rear guard came after the ark, while [the priests] continued blowing the trumpets.
10. Now Joshua had commanded the people, saying, “You shall not shout or make any noise with your voice, nor shall a word proceed out of your mouth, until the day I say to you, ‘Shout!’ Then you shall shout.”
11. So he had the ark of the LORD circle the city, going around [it] once. Then they came into the camp and lodged in the camp.
12. And Joshua rose early in the morning, and the priests took up the ark of the LORD.
13. Then seven priests bearing seven trumpets of rams’ horns before the ark of the LORD went on continually and blew with the trumpets. And the armed men went before them. But the rear guard came after the ark of the LORD, while [the priests] continued blowing the trumpets.
14. And the second day they marched around the city once and returned to the camp. So they did six days.
Anglican Daily Fountain Devotional 28th January 2021
STUDY: Know what the Lord wants you to do, do it the way He wants and you will not struggle for success. In our text today, God had a special plan for conquering Jericho. The Israelites were to march round the city, once every day for six days, and seven times on the seventh day, making it thirteen times in all. In this march, the priest carrying the Ark of the Covenant had the central role along with seven other priests carrying ram horns.
God may have given Joshua and the Israelites this instruction to make them understand that the battle depended on Him, and not upon their weapons and strength. For six days, Israel marched round the city once and returned to their camp. God’s instruction may require you to do things that do not make sense at first. You may not even see the benefit until you have obeyed.
Faith is an act of obedience to the word of God, whether or not His instruction makes sense to you. Learn to follow God’s leading in your affairs. Pray, study His Word and act according to His will if you desire to have success in business, marriage, academics or political pursuit. Only God knows what the future holds, so hold on to Him. Allow Him to lead you!
PRAYER: I am ready to obey, Oh Lord, show me your way.
Daily Fountain Quote of the Day
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.” (Proverbs 3:5)
Anglican Daily Fountain Devotional 28th January 2021 Message. The Church of Nigeria is the Anglican church in Nigeria. It is the second-largest province in the Anglican Communion, as measured by baptized membership, after the Church of England