TOPIC: Do The Right Thing
TEXT: Exodus 1:15-22(NKJV)
15. Then the king of Egypt spoke to the Hebrew midwives, of whom the name of one [was] Shiphrah and the name of the other Puah;
16. and he said, “When you do the duties of a midwife for the Hebrew women, and see [them] on the birthstools, if it [is] a son, then you shall kill him; but if it [is] a daughter, then she shall live.”
17. But the midwives feared God, and did not do as the king of Egypt commanded them, but saved the male children alive.
18. So the king of Egypt called for the midwives and said to them, “Why have you done this thing, and saved the male children alive?”
19. And the midwives said to Pharaoh, “Because the Hebrew women [are] not like the Egyptian women; for they [are] lively and give birth before the midwives come to them.”
20. Therefore God dealt well with the midwives, and the people multiplied and grew very mighty.
21. And so it was, because the midwives feared God, that He provided households for them.
22. So Pharaoh commanded all his people, saying, “Every son who is born you shall cast into the river, and every daughter you shall save alive.”
STUDY: Do not allow any person to use you to achieve evil intentions against others. Obey your leaders but ensure that your obedience to people does not contradict the will of God. Nobody should compel you to do something that is against your will. We see courage, faithfulness and wisdom in the lives of the two Hebrew midwives, Shiphrah and Puah. They did not allow the powerful influence of pharaoh to make them to do something they knew was against the will of God. Their work was to help women deliver safely;they were called to save, not to kill, and they realised that and kept to the rule of their calling. They disobeyed Pharaoh because they feared the Lord (v.17). The result of their wise action made the Israelites to increase in number (v.20). God rewarded them by giving them their own families (v.21).
Just pause and reflect. Given the same experience these midwives had, how would you have behaved? Who do you obey his command? Many lives are lost on a daily basis today because some of our doctors place money above lives. Some lawyers defend injustice and promote evil. Some of the drugs we buy do not reflect their time value because certain pharmacists obey the voice of ungodly riches. Where are the Shiphrahs and Puahs of our time? Let God count on you. Always do the right thing no matter the pressure.
PRAYER: Give me the grace oh Lord to always stand and defend what is right.
Daily Fountain Quote of the Day
“The Christian life is not a constant high. I have my moments of deep discouragement. I have to go to God in prayer with tears in my eyes, and say, ‘O God, forgive me,’ or ‘Help me.’”– Billy Graham
Anglican Daily Fountain Devotional 1st December 2020 – The Church of Nigeria is the Anglican church in Nigeria. It is the second-largest province in the Anglican Communion, as measured by baptized membership, after the Church of England.