Topic: Follow Me
TEXT: Mark 2:13-17(NKJV)
13. Then He went out again by the sea; and all the multitude came to Him, and He taught them.
14. As He passed by, He saw Levi the [son] of Alphaeus sitting at the tax office. And He said to him, “Follow Me.” So he arose and followed Him.
15. Now it happened, as He was dining in [Levi’s] house, that many tax collectors and sinners also sat together with Jesus and His disciples; for there were many, and they followed Him.
16. And when the scribes and Pharisees saw Him eating with the tax collectors and sinners, they said to His disciples, “How [is it] that He eats and drinks with tax collectors and sinners?”
17. When Jesus heard [it,] He said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I did not come to call [the] righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”
STUDY: Quinquagesima means the fiftieth day to Easter. It is the last Sunday before Lent. May we look forward to that season of solemnity and repentance! In our text today, Jesus met with Levi and said to him, “Follow me. ” He arose and followed Him. Levi was a tax collector and many tax collectors and sinners gathered at table with Jesus, He taught them. The Jews look at tax collectors as sinners and never counted them capable of being saved. Jesus has the passion to seek and to save those who are lost (Luke 19:10).
In many societies, people take revenue officers, Police officers, military and paramilitary officers, etc., as those who extort and as sinners. Many religious people point fingers on certain people, while they claim themselves to be followers of Jesus Christ. Jesus stated in John 12:26, “If anyone serves me, let him follow me, and where I am, there my servant will be also. If anyone serves me, my Father will honour him.” The call to follow Jesus is apt now.
Have you left all to follow Him? If not, when will you answer this call?
PRAYER: /Song: I have decided to follow Jesus (3x),
No turning back (2x).
Daily Fountain Quote of the Day
But He said, “The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.” (Luke 18:27)
Anglican Daily Fountain Devotional 14th February 2021 Message. The Church of Nigeria is the Anglican church in Nigeria. It is the second-largest province in the Anglican Communion, as measured by baptized membership, after the Church of England