Topic: What’s Your Attitude To Wealth?
TEXT: Luke 16:19-31(NKJV)
19. ” There was a certain rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and fared sumptuously every day.
20. “But there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, full of sores, who was laid at his gate,
21. “desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table. Moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
22. “So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died and was buried.
23. “And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
- “Then he cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.’
- “But Abraham said, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented.
- ‘And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot, nor can those from there pass to us.’
“Then he said, ‘I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father’s house,
- ‘for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.’
- “Abraham said to him, ‘They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.’
- “And he said, ‘No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’
- “But he said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.’ “
STUDY: Jesus told the story of the rich man and poor beggar, not because he was against the wealth of the rich man, neither was he encouraging laziness, but to address our attitude towards our environment and neighbourhood. Several people see wealth or prosperity as a proof of personal righteousness and good standing with God. The rich man in our text did not go to hell fire because of his wealth but rather his lifestyle, selfishness and lack of empathy; he did not care for the beggar.
Lazarus did not go to heaven because he was poor, but Jesus chose this parable to appeal to our conscience and teach us to do what is right with our wealth or position. There are lots of Lazaruses around and looking up to us for support.
What is your attitude towards your money and possession? Do you intentionally and selfishly hoard resources or do you help people around you. Psalm 41:1-3 says: “Blessed is he who has regards for the weak (poor), the Lord delivers him in times of trouble. ” The Lord will protect him and preserve his life, He will bless him in the land and not surrender him to the desire of his foes.
The Lord will sustain him on his sickbed and restore him from his bed of illness.
PRAYER: Heavenly Father, please forgive my oversight of those I am to help. Give me grace to continue to do the needful in Jesus “Name. Amen.
Daily Fountain Quote of the Day
“… rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer …” (Romans 12:12)
Anglican Daily Fountain Devotional 12 September 2021 Message. The Church of Nigeria is the Anglican church in Nigeria. It is the second-largest province in the Anglican Communion, as measured by baptized membership, after the Church of England.