Topic: Care and Support of Gospel Ministers
Opening Prayer: Dear Lord, grant me understanding and illumination as I ponder on your word in Jesus name.
Scripture: 1 Timothy 5:17–25
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• Is there any command for me to obey?
Scripture Union Daily Guide 5 September 2020 Message
Read vv.17–18 again. What does it mean to you that those working in ministry deserve “double honours” and are “worthy of their wages”? Opinions differ on how gospel ministers should be compensated for their work. Some believe that ministers should not be paid any salary but look up to God for their sustenance.
Others have standardised salaries and allowance systems. The tradition we belong to does not matter, what matters is whether we are concerned about the welfare of God’s ministers or not. “Honour” sometime refers to payment. The illustration is from the practice in the ancient world where double pay is given to worthy soldiers.
Paul also used both the law (Deuteronomy 25:4; cf. 1 Corinthians 9:7–14) and the teachings of Christ (Luke 10:7) to emphasise that gospel ministers must be catered for adequately. However, he was neither saying that such support will necessarily make the gospel minister wealthy, nor is he endorsing reckless lifestyles by the ministers. What other way to show care for our leaders can you see in v.19?
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• So What? How concerned are you about the welfare of SU/FCS staff, pastors and other fulltime Christian workers around you? Decide on a system of regular support you will give from henceforth.
• Thank you Lord, for the privilege to partner with you as I support your ministers. Help me to be faithful in giving my support.
• Ask the Lord to go ahead of you into the coming week and make your way smooth and safe.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with John 3:18a
Read the Bible in one Year
Psalms 148–150; John 1:29–51
Scripture Union Daily Guide 5 September 2020 – Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.