Topic: Concern for a Rebellious Child
Opening Prayer: Dear Lord, I pray that you order my steps today through your word as I meditate on it.
Scripture: 2 Samuel 18:1–18
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• Is there any warning for me to heed?
Scripture Union Daily Guide 14 September 2020 Message
David reorganised his army in preparation for the battle against Absalom. He himself wanted to go to the battle but the troop refused his offer (vv.1–2). Observe the reason they gave for disallowing him from going to battle (v3). Compare Matthew 26:31. What does this teach us about how we value, pray for and protect our leaders from the enemy’s attacks?
Read vv.4–5 again. If you were David, what kind of instruction would you have given to the commanders? There are many good Christian parents, who are weighed down with the challenge of wayward children.
Instead of being angry and closing our minds against such children, we need to learn from David’s exemplary kind disposition and affection for his son turned archenemy. It’s the same way he showed mercy to Saul. When it was in his power to destroy him, he spared him once and again (1 Samuel 24:8–11; 26:7–12) and here he pleads for his rebellious son to be spared by the troops. How we need to pray for that kind of Christlike heart in dealing with our enemies, especially, our rebellious children. This is not easy, but it is possible with God’s help.
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Action: “Arise, cry out in the night, At the beginning of the watches; Pour out your heart like water before the face of the Lord. Lift your hands toward Him For the life of your young children, Who faint from hunger at the head of every street.” Lam 2:19 NKJV
• Absalom was destroyed by his pride and rebellion (Proverbs 16:18). Pray that God will encounter and restore Christian children who have become rebellious before they are destroyed like Absalom.
• Pray for Missionaries witnessing for Christ in their various mission fields: some fields are fiercely hostile, due to war, religion or political creed.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with John 12:14
Read the Bible in one Year
Lam. 1–2; John 6:22–44
Scripture Union Daily Guide 14 September 2020 – Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.