Topic: Sin Hardens
Open Prayer: Open my eyes O Lord that I might behold wondrous things from your word in Jesus name.
Scripture: 2 Samuel 11: 14–27
• Is there any warning for me to heed?
Scripture Union Daily Guide 8 July 2020 Message
In yesterday’s reading, King David had Uriah recalled from the battle and attempted to cover up his evil act of sleeping with his wife. But this scheme failed because of Uriah’s loyalty and commitment to the king, the nation and his fellow soldiers. When his cover up scheme failed, what did David do next? See vv.14–15. David was the leader of God’s people and ‘a man after God’s heart’. Instead of confessing his sins, he made desperate effort to cover it, including summarily executing innocent and faithful Uriah. The sin which began with lust, has led to adultery and finally murder! What other ways can sexual immorality result in bloodshed? Can a Christian commit murder? See Matthew 5:21–22; 1 John 3:15.
Moreover, after Uriah’s death, David brought in Bathsheba into his house and married her, thinking that everything was sorted out. God who sees all was very displeased with him (vv.25–27). It is possible to be a servant of God and be living in sin. God is always displeased each time his child commits sin especially as a leader of his people. Our life and marriage records are with God. We must beware how we live our lives.
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• And so: Determine not to be involved with any form of bloodshed including abortion. Think of people you have murdered in your heart through hatred and ask God for forgiveness.
• O Lord, deliver me from any sin that can lead to other sins.
• Pray that God will help you to have a deeper love for others, like Jesus who so loved us and gave His life for us.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Numbers 23 :20
Read the Bible in one Year
Obadiah; Acts 8:1–25