DCLM Daily Manna 17 June 2019 Devotional by Pastor W.F Kumuyi
TOPIC: Simply Beware
TEXT: John 18:19-27
19. The high priest then asked Jesus of his disciples, and of his doctrine.
20. Jesus answered him, I spake openly to the world; I ever taught in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort; and in secret have I said nothing.
21. Why askest thou me? ask them which heard me, what I have said unto them; behold, they know what I said.
22. And when he had thus spoken, one of the officers which stood by struck Jesus with the palm of his hand, saying, Answerest thou the high priest so?
23. Jesus answered him, If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil; but if well, why smitest thou me?
24. Now Annas had sent him bound unto Caiaphas the high priest.
25. And Simon Peter stood and warmed himself. They said therefore unto him, Art not thou also one of his disciples? He denied it, and said, I am not.
26. One of the servants of the high priest, being his kinsman whose ear Peter cut off, saith, Did not I see thee in the garden with him?
27. Peter then denied again; and immediately the cock crew.
KEY VERSE: “And Simon Peter stood and warned himself. They said therefore unto him, Art not thou also one of his disciples? He denied it, and said, I am not.” – (John 18:25).
DCLM DAILY MANNA 17 JUNE 2019 MESSAGE:
The most valiant of warriors becomes very vulnerable in the enemy’s territory. It is within this place that he is expected to be most cautious, treading every path carefully. Soldiers in warfare are often warned to keep off the enemy’s territory as much as possible, if they are going to remain safe.
Simon Peter found himself within the enemy’s zone. But instead of recalling the initial warning Jesus gave him, he threw off all caution and decided to warm himself with the enemy’s fire. At the end, he reneged on his promise to the Lord. He denied the Lord.
Christians must beware of keeping company with unbelievers or joining their associations, clubs or societies. It was the need to drive off the night’s cold that made Peter to warm himself by the fire kindled by the enemies of the Lord. Some Christians seek the membership of different clubs, business groups and associations in order to “warm” themselves – stay connected and receive needed help or assistance.
DCLM Daily Manna 17 June 2019 – Simply Beware
In the course of this, many Christians have ended up compromising their Christian faith and denying the Lord. While it may not be completely wrong for Christians to belong to professional associations or at times, find themselves in the company of unbelievers, they must at such occasions be on their guard knowing that temptations to deny the Lord at such times are most rife.
Staying off the enemies’ territories as much as possible is the safest way of keeping safe.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
It is dangerous to warm yourself by the enemy’s fire.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 17 June 2019 Devotional was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.
- Joel Osteen Devotional 23 February 2020 – Guard Your Mind
- Winners’ Chapel Live Service 23 February 2020
- Joyce Meyer Devotional 23 February 2020 – Beautifully Imperfect
- Seeds of Destiny 23 February 2020 – Our Fearlessness: God’s Tool for Our Deliverance
- Rhapsody of Realities 23 February 2020 – Stand Up and Stand Strong