From His Heart 26 January 2024 Devotional
Read From His Heart 26 January 2024 Devotional, Friday Message By Pastor Jeff Schreve
TOPIC: How’s Your Prayer Life?
“I love the LORD, because He hears my voice and my supplications. Because He has inclined His ear to me, therefore, I shall call upon Him as long as I live.”
I love the story about the little boy playing in the sandbox. There was a big rock in the sandbox that was inhibiting his fun. He tried to roll it out of the box, but it was too big and heavy for him to get it out. In frustration, he began to cry.
His dad witnessed the whole thing and said to his tearful son, “Why don’t you use all your strength?” The little boy responded through his sobs, “I did use all my strength, Daddy!” To which his daddy replied, “No you didn’t, because you didn’t ask me to help.”
PRAYER IS ASKING FOR HELP
How much are we like that little boy? How many times do we attempt to move the obstacles in our path without seeking first the Lord and calling on His name? The end result is always the same. We end up angry, frustrated, tearful, and dejected over our inability to solve the problem.
God is waiting for you and me to look to Him. The door to the throne room is open to His children. No doubt, it amazes God that relatively few Christians really invest the time and energy in earnest prayer. As David said, “His ear is inclined to us.” So, why do we not pray more frequently and more fervently than we do? Let me offer some reasons:
1. We don’t really believe God will answer. The truth is He promises to answer. “Call to Me, and I will answer you, and I will tell you great and mighty things, which you do not know” (Jer. 33:3).
2. We don’t really believe God cares. The truth is He cares more than we can fathom. “Leave all your worries with Him, because he cares for you” (1 Pet. 5:7 GNB).
3. We don’t really believe it will make any difference. The truth is it makes all the difference in the world. “You do not have because you do not ask” (Jas. 4:2).
4. We are much more prideful than we care to admit. The prideful person does not ask for help. “God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble (Jas. 4:6).
5. We are too preoccupied with lesser things and too lazy with important things. Prayer is hard work. It takes effort, and it is a struggle. The devil knows the power of God comes when we get on our knees, so he will fight tooth and nail to keep you from it. “Discipline yourselves for the purpose of godliness” (1 Tim. 4:7).
Let me encourage you as I encourage myself, make prayer (and Bible study) the cornerstone of your walk with Jesus. We desperately need His help, His grace and His guidance. He told us He is available to us 24/7, but we have to call. Will you join me in calling out to Him on a regular, consistent basis? The old adage is certainly true: no prayer, no power; some prayer, some power; great prayer, great power!
Let’s determine together to be people of great prayer. If we will do so, God will supply great power.
Pastor Jeff Schreve,
From His Heart Ministries
Dr. Jeff Schreve believes that no matter how badly you may have messed up in life, God still loves you and has a wonderful plan just for you. From His Heart provides real truth, love and hope on over 700 radio stations each day, in 182 countries each week on TV, and is always available online. Pastor Jeff takes no income from this ministry. All donations go to furthering the broadcast outreach. As a listener/viewer supported ministry, we thank you for joining with us to help speak the truth in love to a lost and hurting world. Go to www.fromhisheart.org for more information.