TOPIC: Backsliding is Damnable
TEXT: Psalms 78:54-62
54. And he brought them to the border of his sanctuary, even to this mountain, which his right hand had purchased.
55. He cast out the heathen also before them, and divided them an inheritance by line, and made the tribes of Israel to dwell in their tents.
56. Yet they tempted and provoked the most high God, and kept not his testimonies;
57. But turned back, and dealt unfaithfully like their fathers; they were turned aside like a deceitful bow.
58. For they provoked him to anger with their high places, and moved him to jealousy with their graven images.
59. When God heard this, he was wroth, and greatly abhorred Israel;
60. So that he forsook the tabernacle of Shiloh, the tent which he placed among men;
61. And delivered his strength into captivity, and his glory into the enemy’s hand.
62. He gave his people over also unto the sword; and was wroth with his inheritance.
“Yet they tempted and provoked the most high God, and kept not his testimonies: But turned back, and dealt unfaithfully like their fathers: they were turned aside like a deceitful bow.” – (Psalm 78:56,57)
Deeper Life Daily Manna 14th March 2021 MESSAGE:
Backsliding connotes relapsing or sliding back from a high altitude of faith in God to a debased state of faith in idols. It is going down from an elevated level of righteousness and holiness to a low and shameful level of sinfulness and depravity. It is throwing away the truth that saves and embracing falsehood. It is moving from the assembly of the living and joining the congregation of the dead. It is forsaking faithfulness and fidelity, and embracing unfaithfulness and licentiousness. It is rejecting Christ the Saviour and befriending the enemies of the cross.
Israel was God’s chosen people. They had graciously enjoyed His favour and mercy. He delivered them from the Egyptian bondage and brought them to the Promised Land, a land flowing with milk and honey. He fought their battles for them, fed them with angels’ food and was a Father unto them. Unfortunately, they were unfaithful to God. They continued in their perpetual backsliding, provoked the Almighty to anger and moved Him to jealousy through their idolatry.
The consequence of their backsliding and unfaithfulness was that the Lord forsook them and they became easy prey to their enemies. He removed His presence from among them and made them to face disgrace, shame, pain and oppression from their enemies. They lost the abiding presence of God in their midst, so the enemies began to put them to flight.
After the Lord saves a believer and blesses him with spiritual blessings, if he turns back into sin, the end of such a person will be worse than the beginning. The Lord will forsake him. Soon, affliction, oppression, shame, disgrace, sorrow and regret will follow. This may lead to eternal doom in hell fire if repentance or restitution is not quickly sought. Sinners who repent and forsake their sins will equally enjoy pardon, favour and unfathomable blessing from the Lord.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Forsaking the Lord means embracing Satan.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
Deeper Life Daily Manna 14 March 2021 DCLM Devotional Message was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.