TOPIC: The Feast of Tabernacles
TEXT: Leviticus 23:33-44
33. And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
34. Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, The fifteenth day of this seventh month shall be the feast of tabernacles for seven days unto the LORD.
35. On the first day shall be an holy convocation; ye shall do no servile work therein.
36. Seven days ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD; on the eighth day shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD; it is a solemn assembly; and ye shall do no servile work therein.
37. These are the feasts of the LORD, which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, to offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD, a burnt offering, and a meat offering, a sacrifice, and drink offerings, every thing upon his day;
38. Beside the sabbaths of the LORD, and beside your gifts, and beside all your vows, and beside all your freewill offerings, which ye give unto the LORD.
39. Also in the fifteenth day of the seventh month, when ye have gathered in the fruit of the land, ye shall keep a feast unto the LORD seven days; on the first day shall be a sabbath, and on the eighth day shall be a sabbath.
40. And ye shall take you on the first day the boughs of goodly trees, branches of palm trees, and the boughs of thick trees, and willows of the brook; and ye shall rejoice before the LORD your God seven days.
41. And ye shall keep it a feast unto the LORD seven days in the year. It shall be a statute for ever in your generations; ye shall celebrate it in the seventh month.
42. Ye shall dwell in booths seven days; all that are Israelites born shall dwell in booths;
43. That your generations may know that I made the children of Israel to dwell in booths, when I brought them out of the land of Egypt; I am the LORD your God.
44. And Moses declared unto the children of Israel the feasts of the LORD.
“Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, The fifteenth day of this seventh month shall be the feast of tabernacles for seven days unto the LORD.” – (Leviticus 23:34)
DCLM Daily Manna 10th December 2020 Devotional MESSAGE:
The children of Israel departed from Egypt, the land of bondage, with the intent of settling in the Promised Land. But they could not possess Canaan until 40 years after. While wandering in the wilderness, God’s faithfulness never ceased from them. Even when some of them disobeyed Him and few nations rose against them, God kept directing, guiding and protecting them until He brought them into Canaan. He was with them as the Pillar of cloud in the day and as the Pillar of fire at night.
As revealed in our text, God established the feast of Tabernacles, which He commanded to hold on the fifteenth day of the seventh month annually. Also, He commanded them to put up booths and dwell therein for seven days during the celebration. The purpose of the feast was to enable the Israelites to commemorate God’s protection during their journey through the wilderness; renew their commitment to God and trust the God of their fathers evermore. It usually involved the whole family so as to acquaint the younger generation with God’s faithfulness to their fathers.
As Christians, we have come out of Egypt of sin and are journeying through the wilderness of this world to the heavenly Canaan. It is certain that the world will be hostile to us. Nevertheless, we must be courageous and strong, knowing full well that we have a mighty Captain in Christ our Lord, who never falters or fails.
The Scripture assures us that Christ is ever present with us. He often intercedes for our security and preservation from the pollution of the world. Although iniquity may abound and the love of many wax cold, we must continue to hold on to our steadfast Anchor. He is able to save everyone that comes to Him till the end. This assurance of God’s faithfulness and love should also be inculcated into our offspring so that together we shall enter the heavenly Canaan.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Christ is the only Captain that can subdue all storms.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 10th December 2020 Devotional Message was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.