Anglican Daily Fountain Devotional 17th January 2023 Tuesday Daily Devotional Reading
Read Tuesday Anglican Daily Fountain Devotional 17th January 2023 Message
TOPIC: Cast Not Away Your Confidence
TEXT: Matthew 11:1-19(NKJV)
1. Now it came to pass, when Jesus finished commanding His twelve disciples, that He departed from there to teach and to preach in their cities.
2. And when John had heard in prison about the works of Christ, he sent two of his disciples
3. and said to Him, “Are You the Coming One, or do we look for another?”
4. Jesus answered and said to them, “Go and tell John the things which you hear and see:
5. “[The] blind see and [the] lame walk; [the] lepers are cleansed and [the] deaf hear; [the] dead are raised up and [the] poor have the gospel preached to them.
6. “And blessed is he who is not offended because of Me.”
7. As they departed, Jesus began to say to the multitudes concerning John: “What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind?
8. “But what did you go out to see? A man clothed in soft garments? Indeed, those who wear soft [clothing] are in kings’ houses.
9. “But what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I say to you, and more than a prophet.
10. “For this is [he] of whom it is written: ‘Behold, I send My messenger before Your face, Who will prepare Your way before You.’
11. “Assuredly, I say to you, among those born of women there has not risen one greater than John the Baptist; but he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.
12. “And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force.
13. “For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.
14. “And if you are willing to receive [it,] he is Elijah who is to come.
15. “He who has ears to hear, let him hear!
16. “But to what shall I liken this generation? It is like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling to their companions,
17. “and saying: ‘We played the flute for you, And you did not dance; We mourned to you, And you did not lament.’
18. “For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’
19. “The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Look, a glutton and a winebibber, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ But wisdom is justified by her children.”
DAILY FOUNTAIN DEVOTIONAL STUDY – JANUARY 17, 2023
John the Baptist was the forerunner of Jesus Christ. When John was imprisoned by Herod, he understandably would expect Jesus to intervene and set him free but that did not happen. John’s question to Jesus:”Are you the one to come or do we look for another?” might therefore have been asked out of frustration and loss of confidence. Jesus sent John’s disciples back as eye witnesses of what they heard Jesus say and do because blessed are those who do not become offended of Christ.
John was the greatest prophet but the least in Heaven is greater than him. Jesus revealed that since the day of John the Baptist the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and that men of violence take it by force.
As you face difficult situations that challenge our faith, remember that God will never leave you nor forsake you (Isaiah 43:2). Simply trust, pray, obey and be patient with Him, for He will see you through (See Heb. 10:35-39).
In these last days only violent Christians who remain undaunted and determined to the end can take the kingdom by force. Again, the love of many shall wax cold, so do not compromise your faith but remain faithful to the end.
PRAYER: Lord, please give me the grace to be true and faithful to you in all circumstances.
DAILY FOUNTAIN QUOTE OF THE DAY: I will discipline you in love, as a father who loves His children. Proverbs 3:11-12
The Church of Nigeria is the Anglican church in Nigeria. It is the second-largest province in the Anglican Communion, as measured by baptized membership, after the Church of England.