Scripture Union Daily Guide 3 October 2020 Today’s Message
TOPIC: PRAISE FOR GOD’S INTERVENTION AND POWER
Opening Prayer: As I read your word O Lord, grant me an insight and grace to do your will in Jesus name.
Scripture: 2 Samuel 22:1 – 16
• What does the passage teach about God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit?
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
MESSAGE: Scripture Union Daily Guide 3 October 2020
This song composed by David during his wilderness exploits later formed the bulk of Psalm 18. It may be good to look up these experiences in 1 Samuel 21–23. Read v.1 again and notice the reason for this jubilant praise from David’s heart. This should be our pattern ─ gratitude! Observe the various names ascribed to God drawn from experiences.
Can you pause at this moment and reflect on the import of these names in your own situation? Our confidence ought to be in God’s ability to deliver, and not in our expert intelligence or manoeuvres. See how in v.4. As David recalls his near–death situations (vv.5,6) and how God rescued him, his heart was full of praise to God.
How often do you stop to thank God for victory over a certain situation? Read vv.9–16 again and notice the dramatic presentation of how God intervened in David’s case: the earth trembled ? because God was angry! And, what happened? Observe the imageries employed. Jeremiah states that our God is “a mighty terrible one” (Jeremiah 20:11, KJV).
God mobilizes all arsenals at his disposal to act on behalf of his children. Hidden thrones afflicting us are exposed at his rebuke. This should build our faith the more in God and encourage us to be unreservedly committed to him.
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• And So: Meditate on the ways God has been handling your challenges and then offer praise to him.
• Lord God, I thank you for the innumerable blessings you have bestowed on me. Help me to live for you always.
• Thank God for His provisions through your work place or business and ask for a more productive new week.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Psalm 102:13
Read The Bible In One Year: Ezek. 35–36; John 17
Scripture Union Daily Guide 3 October 2020 – Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.