TOPIC: Amazed at God’s Handiwork
TEXT: Psalm 126(NKJV)
1. A Song of Ascents. When the LORD brought back the captivity of Zion, We were like those who dream.
2. Then our mouth was filled with laughter, And our tongue with singing. Then they said among the nations, “The LORD has done great things for them.”
3. The LORD has done great things for us, [And] we are glad.
4. Bring back our captivity, O LORD, As the streams in the South.
5. Those who sow in tears Shall reap in joy.
6. He who continually goes forth weeping, Bearing seed for sowing, Shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, Bringing his sheaves [with him.]
STUDY: The Psalmist sang of a time when God’s people were freed from their captivity, and they were restored to Jerusalem (Zion). Most scholars associate this Psalm with the return from exile under Ezra and Nehemiah. He illustrated his contentment, gratefulness, astonishment at the awesome display of God’s power and goodness in bringing back His people from the captivity. It seemed too good and great to be true, but it was true.
The people knew about the promises of restoration, but when the actual moment of restoration came, it was an overwhelming experience. They celebrated God’s amazing work with laughter and singing.This sense of joyful amazement was not confined to the people of God.
Other nations affirmed that Yahweh in His greatness could only do this. They accepted it, emphasized on it repeatedly, and personalised it. It became the declaration of what God had done for them!
The Psalmist prayed for continued deliverance and for God to further the work of restoration among His people. He reminded himself and all of us that great joy is often preceded by a season of tears. As God delivered the people and turned their sorrows into joy, so will God visit you with amazing grace(Ps.30:5)
PRAYER: My Father, over turn and break every captivity in my life, family and nation; deliver me and this nation from the captivity of them that are too strong for us; fill my mouth and that of this nation with laughter and make your name glorious in my life and in my country.
Daily Fountain Quote of the Day: But He said, “The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.” (Luke 18:27)
– The Church of Nigeria is the Anglican church in Nigeria. It is the second-largest province in the Anglican Communion, as measured by baptized membership, after the Church of England. It gives its current membership as “over 18 million”, out of a total Nigerian population of over 200 million.