Topic: Pursue Things of Eternal Values
Opening Prayer: Lord, I pray that you lead me into your truth as I meditate on your word in Jesus name.
Scripture: 1 Timothy 6:11–21
• Is there any command for me to obey?
Scripture Union Daily Guide 7 September 2020 Message:
There are things that last for eternity and those that are ephemeral or transient. Unfortunately, our values are often upside down. We pursue temporary things vigorously at the expense of the spiritual and eternal blessings. Read vv.11–12 again and identify the things Paul recommends we should run after. These are the virtues that can help us build a just and equitable society. But holding on to our salvation and godly virtues, in this perverse generation, is not always easy. We must be ready to fight, and to guard our salvation and faith at all times (vv.12, 20a).
We must make up our minds to keep the commands of Christ our Lord till he returns (vv.14–15a), and turn away from godless doctrines and practices, no matter how appealing (vv.20–21). Meditate on vv.15b–16. Take note that God is not against wealth and riches neither does he consider poverty as godliness. However, he gives us guidelines on how to handle our wealth and riches. What specific guidelines can you see in vv.17–19 (cf. Matthew 6:20–21)?
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• So What: What are you holding unto that you need to give up? Let go of them today and ask the Lord to take over.
• Help me Lord to hold fast to my salvation and godly virtues, in this perverse generation, in Jesus name.
• Pray for the conversion of unbelieving members of your family and extended family. Pray that God will send them witnesses they can believe.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with John 6:47
Read the Bible in one Year
Judges 4–6; John 3: 1–18
Scripture Union Daily Guide 7 September 2020 – Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.