Topic: Women: Great Repository of Wisdom
Opening Prayer: Make my life oh Lord a reflection of you as I study your word.
Scripture: 2 Samuel 20:14–26
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• What is God revealing to me in this passage?
Message: Observe how this wise woman chose a strategy that averted the impending destruction of her city and persuaded the people to follow her plan. She stopped Joab’s attack on her city, not with weapons but with her wisdom (vv.17–22). She must have been a respected leader in her city. How we need such leaders in Africa! Unfortunately, in many African societies, it is generally believed that women are only to be seen and not heard.
One African President said his wife belongs to the kitchen. Women are a great repository of godly wisdom and if given enabling environment and opportunities, they will contribute greatly to the development of the Church in African and society. However, we all, women and men, need godly wisdom for peaceful and progressive societies (See Proverbs 4:1,7; 2:11–12). Vv.23–26 is a list of people in David’s administration. Leadership becomes easy when we have people who share the leadership burden with us, including women.
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• What Next: Which cultures are limiting women from attaining their God–given potentials in your church or society? Consider what you can do to help stop these unhelpful practices.
Traditions are established teachings passed on from one generation to another such as those passed on by parents to their children. Many traditions are not bad in themselves if they do not undermine the word of God. At times the true word of God may be obscured by such established teachings or traditions. We can know good traditions from the bad ones by whether or not they conform and align with the word of God. The Scripture, not the human tradition, is the basis of our belief and practice.
Scripture Union Daily Guide 20 September 2020 Prayer Points
• Pray that African women would attain their full potentials and contribute more to the growth of God’s kingdom in Africa.
• Thank God and pray for Scripture Union (SU), Children Evangelism Ministry (CEM) and other specialized ministries to Children and youths.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Isaiah 43:15
Read the Bible in one Year
Ezek. 3–4; John 9: 1–23
Scripture Union Daily Guide 20 September 2020 – Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.