Topic: What’s Motivating You?
Scripture: [Keep] your work energized by faith and service motivated by love and unwavering hope in [the return of] our Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah). — 1 Thessalonians 1:3 (AMPC) [Word in brackets added for clarity]
Message: The dictionary defines motivate this way: to provide with an incentive or a reason for doing something; to impel.
Why you do a thing is just as important (if not more so) than what you do. Motives matter! Here are a few great motivators to have in your life:
• The Word of God—Being obedient to God’s Word is the best motivator I know of.
• Pure love—This motivator is important because Jesus said that the world would recognize us as His disciples by our love (see John 13:34-35).
• Faith—Our faith pleases God (see Hebrews 11:6), so this motivator in life makes God smile.
• To bless someone else—Jesus went about doing good (see Acts 10:35). Let’s strive to be like Him!
• For righteousness’ sake—A good motivator is simply doing something because it’s the right thing to do.
Keeping our motives pure is a lifelong process, but it’s one worth pursuing. Ask God to help you have the right motives today, then let those godly motives lead your decision making.
Prayer Starter: God, please help me to guard my heart and let only the right motives drive my decisions. Thank You for purifying my heart and shifting my motives to match Yours today. In Jesus’ Name, amen.
Joyce Meyer Daily Devotional 5th September 2020 – Joyce Meyer is an American Charismatic Christian author and speaker and president of Joyce Meyer Ministries. Joyce and her husband Dave have four grown children