TOPIC: Simply Your Choice
TEXT: Deuteronomy 30:11-20
11. For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off.
12. It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
13. Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
14. But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.
15. See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil;
16. In that I command thee this day to love the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commandments and his statutes and his judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply; and the LORD thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it.
17. But if thine heart turn away, so that thou wilt not hear, but shalt be drawn away, and worship other gods, and serve them;
18. I denounce unto you this day, that ye shall surely perish, and that ye shall not prolong your days upon the land, whither thou passest over Jordan to go to possess it.
19. I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live;
20. That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him; for he is thy life, and the length of thy days; that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.
“I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live.” – (Deuteronomy 30:19)
Some folks have a knack for indecision. But an American author, James Allen Hightower, once said, “There’s nothing in the middle of the road but yellow stripes and dead armadillos.” Indecision is dangerous. But in many cases, a wrong decision is far more dangerous. And there are situations in which the “middle of the road” does not exist.
Such is the case that Moses presented before the Israelites in today’s text. He had been used of God to guide them for many years. As he was winding up his ministry, he had to rehearse God’s commandment before them, enumerating the blessings the Lord had promised them if they obeyed Him.
Moses confronted them with an inevitable choice. “See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil”, he declared. He did not only state the only two options – good and evil – he indicated the consequences of each. Good, righteousness, obedience, faithfulness would lead to life whereas evil, ungodliness and disobedience would lead to death. Much as Moses further recommended obedience so that they and their posterity would live happily, the choice was theirs to make.
With Christ’s atoning death and resurrection, God’s redemptive power is at work. But the choice to repent and be saved (Romans 10:8,9) or not is that of every individual. Your choice determines your destiny. Eternal life in heaven is the lot of those who choose salvation and godliness. But eternal damnation (in hell) awaits those who choose the way of unrighteousness in addition to their earthly troubles.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Nobody gets to heaven or hell by chance but by choice.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 19 September 2020 Devotional Message was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria