TOPIC: Beware of the Love of Money
8. My son, hear the instruction of your father, And do not forsake the law of your mother;
9. For they [will be] a graceful ornament on your head, And chains about your neck.
10. My son, if sinners entice you, Do not consent.
11. If they say, “Come with us, Let us lie in wait to [shed] blood; Let us lurk secretly for the innocent without cause;
12. Let us swallow them alive like Sheol, And whole, like those who go down to the Pit;
13. We shall find all [kinds] of precious possessions, We shall fill our houses with spoil;
14. Cast in your lot among us, Let us all have one purse” —
15. My son, do not walk in the way with them, Keep your foot from their path;
16. For their feet run to evil, And they make haste to shed blood.
17. Surely, in vain the net is spread In the sight of any bird;
18. But they lie in wait for their [own] blood, They lurk secretly for their [own] lives.
19. So [are] the ways of everyone who is greedy for gain; It takes away the life of its owners.
Daily Fountain Devotional 12 September 2020 STUDY:
Verses 10-15 reveal how people are lured into the temptation to get rich quickly and this is one of the evils of the last days – the uncontrollable love for money. God says through His servant, Paul the Apostle, that those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and hurtful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction’’ (I Timothy 6:9). The writer of the book of Proverbs speaks at the beginning of the book as a father to a son or a teacher to a pupil, a father using his experience to admonish his son.
One of the most effective tools in the hands of the devil to lead people astray today, especially the youth, is the love of money. The devil in his deceitful and cunning ways has exposed the younger generation to ungodly quick access to wealth. This unholy access to instant wealth is devised in the pit of hell and sends promising youths into untimely graves and eternal condemnation. “For what does it profit a man, to gain the whole world and forfeit his life? For what can a man give in return for his life?’’ Be wise!All that glitters is not gold!
PRAYER: O God of heaven and the earth, you are the giver of all good things, give me the spirit of contentment and prevent my heart from every deceit of the devil, in Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.
DAILY QUOTE: “… rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer …” (Romans 12:12)
Daily Fountain Devotional 12 September 2020 – The Church of Nigeria is the Anglican church in Nigeria. It is the second-largest province in the Anglican Communion, as measured by baptized membership, after the Church of England. It gives its current membership as “over 18 million”, out of a total Nigerian population of over 200 million.