Topic: Are You An Effective Messenger
Opening Prayer: Help me to understand the exceeding greatness of your power as I read through this passage, dear Lord.
Scripture: 2 Samuel 18:19–33
• Is there any command for me to obey?
• What is God revealing to me in this passage?
TODAY’S MESSAGE: Scripture Union Daily Guide 15th September 2020
Ahimaaz was eager to take the news to the king even though, for good reasons, Joab preferred to send the Cushite. In spite of Joab’s hesitation, however, Ahimaaz insisted on taking the news (see vv.19–20 and 22–23). What do you think of the behaviour of Ahimaaz? Why would you think he insisted on taking the news? Ahimaaz outran the Cushite, but when he finally arrived, he had no concrete information to give about what happened (vv.28–30).
Look at Joab’s instruction to the Cushite in v.21. What does this teach us about how to be an effective messenger for God? Compare the Cushite report (vv.31–32) with that of Ahimaaz (vv.28–30). Can you spot the difference? Being an effective gospel messenger requires having a personal experience and first–hand information about the gospel (1 John 1:1–3).
Ahimaaz is an example of people who are zealous about taking the gospel to others but lack adequate experience of Christ themselves. V.33 is a paradox. Why would David be sad that someone who wanted to depose and even kill him had been killed? In addition to the father’s love, he probably realised he caused it all (see 12:10–12).
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• So What? Many young people are entering into Christian ministry with great zeal but inadequate and defective knowledge/preparation. How can you be of help to them?
• Ahimaaz was a regular courier for King David, but on this occasion, he was set aside (v.30). Pray that you will not become a redundant instrument in God’s hand.
• Pray for yourself to be a faithful steward of time, talents, gifts, resources, power and influence God has entrusted to you.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Proverbs 18:10
Read The Bible In One Year: Lam. 3–5; John 6:45–71
Scripture Union Daily Guide 15 September 2020 – Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.