TOPIC: Our Sure Refuge
KEY VERSE: “Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation; there shall no evil befall the, neither shall any plague come near thy dwelling.” – (Psalm 91:9,10)
TEXT: Psalm 91:1-16
1. He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
3. Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
4. He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
5. Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
6. Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
7. A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
8. Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
9. Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
10. There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
11. For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
12. They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
13. Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.
14. Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
15. He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.
16. With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.
MESSAGE: DCLM Daily Manna 26th August 2020 – Our Sure Refuge
A songwriter writes, “I sing because am happy; I sing because am free; for His eyes are on the sparrow; And I know He watches me”. This song reflects the confidence of the writer in the protective power of God over those who trust in Him.
Similarly, our text reflects God as our sure Refuge, under whom we have total protection. The Bible here tells us that because the genuine believer dwells in the secret place of the most High; has made God his refuge and fortress; set his love on Him and knows His name, God will give him some special favour all the time.
God has promised to protect believers from pestilence, terror, destruction, death, sickness and disease; He will answer our prayers; promote, honour, prolong our days and give us eternal habitation in heaven. The Lord has not changed. He still protects His own. The Bible says, “Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and forever” (Hebrews 13:8). It is disheartening, however, to see many people run for help where there is none.
Such desperate and unbelieving people merely compound their problems as they move from pillar to post. Sadly, many of them have contracted more diseases and are afflicted with more terrible demons; thus worsening their situation. This way, many have died and gone to eternity unprepared.
How wonderful it is to make God our Refuge and Habitation! Those who do so have nothing to lose but all to gain, because “The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe” (Proverbs 18:10).
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
There is only one Fortress that is impregnable to Satan, and that is Jesus.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 26 August 2020 Devotional Message was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria