Scripture Union Daily Guide 7 July 2020 – Backsliding Believer
Opening Prayer: As I read through this passage dear Lord, let your word bring transformation to my life.
Scripture: 2 Samuel 11: 1–13
• Is there any warning for me to heed?
Read vv.1&11 and see what King David did when others were going to war. Idleness and indifference to things of God are great tools in Satan’s hand to cripple a believer’s faith. Are you reneging in personal and corporate fellowship, evangelism, prayers, Bible study, etc? These are symptoms of backsliding.
Certain aspects of our spiritual life and work with God cannot be relegated to the background or totally delegated. We must endeavour to be involved or else we will be dying gradually and spiritually! Vv.2–13 outline David’s sins and various steps he took to cover his sins. Read James 1:14–15 to see what God is saying about backsliding stages.
Kill sin from the lust/thought stage before it hatches and disgraces or kills you (Colossians 3:3–6). Attempting to cover sin, begets other sins. Nobody can successfully hide his sins from God. However, if we confess and turn away from our sin, we shall obtain God’s mercy and forgiveness (Proverbs 28:13).
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• And so: If you are currently struggling with any sin, take it to God. Also confide in a godly Christian for counselling and prayers (James 5:16). Stop dying in silence.
• Lord, I am sorry for all the sin of lust I have ever committed. Please forgive me. Help me to live for you all the days of my life.
• Pray for an understanding of God’s priorities for these times.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Numbers 23:19
Read the Bible in one Year
Deut. 32–34; Acts 7:44–60
Scripture Union Daily Guide 7 July 2020 – Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.