Scripture Union Daily Guide 13 July 2020
Topic: Be a Peace Maker
Opening Prayer: Dear Lord, grant me understanding and illumination as I ponder on your word in Jesus name.
Scripture: 2 Samuel 14: 1–24
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• Is there any other Biblical passage that can help me understand this passage better?
Joab displayed great loyalty to the king when he observed his feelings towards his estranged son and made moves to facilitate reconciliation. How loyal are you to your boss or parents? How often do you go out of your way to broker peace between brethren, colleagues or relatives? Spare some time to look into the struggles of others.
God does not chide us forever neither should we chide our children forever nor drive them away from us towards destruction. We should rather draw them close to us and help them overcome their challenges. Observe the description of the woman from Tekoa (v.2) and the wisdom displayed, especially her words in v.14. Are your actions aimed at bringing your child closer to you or driving them further away? If you have missed it in the past, you can make amends today as God helps you.
Note from v.20 that God’s wisdom can help you put matters in a different way in order to achieve peace between two neighbours/brothers. Did Joab achieve peace in the end (vv.21–23)? How do you see David’s action in v.24, positive or negative; constructive or destructive?
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Thought: Some are peacemakers, others only promote discord. Which are you?
• Oh God, help me to always seek to make peace and grant me the wisdom and skill to achieve it.
• Pray for Missionaries witnessing for Christ in their various mission fields: some fields are fiercely hostile, due to war, religion or political creed.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Numbers 24:6–7a
Read the Bible in one Year
Psalms 10–12; Acts 10:24–48
Scripture Union Daily Guide 13 July 2020 – Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.