TOPIC: Walking in the Light of Love
TEXT: 1 John 2:8-17(NKJV)
8. Again, a new commandment I write to you, which thing is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away, and the true light is already shining.
9. He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now.
10. He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him.
11. But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.
12. I write to you, little children, Because your sins are forgiven you for His name’s sake.
13. I write to you, fathers, Because you have known Him [who is] from the beginning. I write to you, young men, Because you have overcome the wicked one. I write to you, little children, Because you have known the Father.
14. I have written to you, fathers, Because you have known Him [who is] from the beginning. I have written to you, young men, Because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, And you have overcome the wicked one.
15. Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16. For all that [is] in the world — the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life — is not of the Father but is of the world.
17. And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.
Daily Fountain Devotional 19 July 2020 Message
STUDY: The apostle declares clearly that whoever walks in disobedience to God walks in darkness. We can know that we know God and walk in the light that Christ provides when we seek to obey His commands. In this passage,we’re given a new command – to love our brothers and sisters as an indication that we are walking in the light and willing to obey God’s commands. Doing so is a proof of our new birth and relationship with God. John also reminds us of God’s love manifested through His forgiveness of our sins. God extended His forgiveness to us while we were living in darkness. John also warns us against loving the world. The love of the world separates us from the love of God.
Walking in the light is essential to remaining in fellowship with Christ. But we must love one another if we are walking in the light. Are there persons in your life that you hate, dislike or have not forgiven? Take a step to such people today and reconcile genuinely. Until you do so, you are walking in darkness. The light Jesus provides is for us to love one another. God has the power to perfect His love in us as we seek to obey His commands and walk in the light of Christ.
PRAYER: Father, give me grace to live a life of love. Amen
DAILY QUOTE: “The greater your knowledge of the goodness and grace of God on your life, the more likely you are to praise Him in the storm.”– Matt Chandler
Daily Fountain Devotional 19 July 2020 – The Church of Nigeria is the Anglican church in Nigeria. It is the second-largest province in the Anglican Communion, as measured by baptized membership, after the Church of England. It gives its current membership as “over 18 million”, out of a total Nigerian population of over 200 million.