Topic: Warning to Philistia
Opening Prayer: Lord, let the light of your word shine into my life as I meditate on your word.
Scripture: Jeremiah 47:1–7
• Is there any warning for me to heed?
Scripture Union Daily Guide 19 May 2020
Message: The Philistines had been a thorn in the flesh to the Israelites for a long time. They were traditionally Israel’s archenemy. But now the time of their judgment was approaching. The Babylonians would destroy their cities and lay waste the land. Fathers would forget their children in the desperate flight to save themselves (vv.3–4). What again can you see in v.5?
The Philistines had allies in Tyre and Sidon, but they would all be destroyed together, just as they had stood together in good times. There was no mercy. Those left behind after the battle would lament and mourn for their lost comrades for quite a while.
Again, we are reminded that Babylon was only an instrument of judgment and punishment in God’s hand. They were only a nation appointed by God to deliver his message to those who had neglected to heed his warning. For the time being she was obedient, yet in her own time, would Babylon listen? Meditate on vv.6–7.
• Then? Because we know the terror of God, we persuade men
• Pray for the places mentioned in today’s passage and the people who live there (Philistine ─ Gaza Strip; Tyre and Sidon ─ Lebanon and Caphtor ─ Island of Crete). Pray that they may respond to the gospel message and come to trust Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour.
• Praise God for the grace that made you a Christian and the empowerment to be a faithful witness.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Jeremiah 31:3
Read the Bible in one Year
1 Kings 19–20; Matt. 10:21–42