Open Heaven 25 February 2020 Devotional By Pastor E.A Adeboye – You Cannot Deceive God
TOPIC: You Cannot Deceive God
“Talk no more exceeding proudly; let not arrogancy come out of your mouth: for the Lord is a God of knowledge, and by Him actions are weighed.” – (1 Samuel 2:3)
READ: Acts 5:1-11 (KJV)
1. But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
2. And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles’ feet.
3. But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
4. Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
5. And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost; and great fear came on all them that heard these things.
6. And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him.
7. And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in.
8. And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much? And she said, Yea, for so much.
9. Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out.
10. Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost; and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband.
11. And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.
Open Heaven 25 February 2020 MESSAGE:
It is impossible to deceive God because He knows ALL things, including the thoughts of your heart and the motives behind your actions. In Samuel 15:13-15 for example, King Saul told Samuel that he had already obeyed God’s commandments as regards the Amalekites. However, the latter heard the noise of animals. The King then lied that they were for sacrifice to God. Why would anyone try to deceive God? In the first place, he should have asked himself if oxen sound differently for the Prophet to know which is from Amalek and which is not. He should have known that Samuel was acting based on divine knowledge. You can’t hide anything from God!
Ananias and Sapphira lied to the Holy Spirit and never got a chance to repent (Acts 5:1-11). They would not have died if they had simply been honest about how much they sold the land for and how much they kept back. They were not forced to sell; they just wanted to deceive the Holy Spirit and they paid dearly for it. Do not attempt to deceive God.
Many years ago, when the Redeemed Christian Church of God was small, one man joined us and became very active almost immediately. In fact, we thought he was a blessing until God revealed his true identity. I was on a lengthy fast when he came to see me. There and then, God told me he was a spy, operating from the church so he would not be easily found. I confronted him and he tried to cover up. I told him he wouldn’t last beyond the next seven days. Within the week, God exposed him and he was picked by the then military government of Nigeria. God cannot be deceived.
Open Heaven 25 February 2020 – You Cannot Deceive God
Paying less than your tithe is deception to God; it would have been better if you didn’t pay it at all. Telling a lie to the marriage counsellor in your Church that you and your fiancee/fiance have not had any sexual relations before marriage is trying to deceive God. As an usher, changing the remittance figures is trying to deceive God. It is dangerous and thus, has grave consequences. Don’t do it.
Is there any area where you have been trying to deceive God? Repent now.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
Hymn 14 – Immortal, invisible, God only wise
1. Immortal, invisible, God only wise,
In light inaccessible hid from our eyes
Most blessed, most glorious, the Ancient of days,
Almighty, victorious, Thy great name we praise.
2. Unresting, unhasting, and silent as light,
Nor wanting, nor wasting, thou rulest in might!
Thy justice like mountains high soaring above,
Thy cloud which are fountains of goodness and love.
3. To all life thou givest to both great and small;
In all life Thou livest, the true life of all;
We blossom and flourish as leaves on the tree,
And wither and perish-but nought changeth Thee.
4. Great Father of Glory, pure Father of Light,
Thine angels adore Thee, all veiling their sight;
All laud we would render; O help us to see;
‘Tis only the splendour of light hideth Thee.
PREVIOUS: Be Persistent