Open Heaven 17 October 2019 Daily Devotional By Pastor E.A Adeboye – Give Caesar What Belongs To Him!
TOPIC: Give Caesar What Belongs To Him!
“And Jesus answering said unto them, render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s. And they marvelled at him.” – (Mark 12:17)
READ: Romans 13:1-7 (KJV)
1. Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God; the powers that be are ordained of God.
2. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God; and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
3. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same;
4. For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain; for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
5. Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.
6. For for this cause pay ye tribute also; for they are God’s ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
7. Render therefore to all their dues; tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.
Open Heaven 17 October 2019 – Give Caesar What Belongs To Him!
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: 2 Chronicles 11-13, Revelation 12
There are some characters that portray children of God in a bad light today. For example, some of us want to enjoy social amenities provided by government, but don’t want to pay tax. Those who manifest such behaviors only want to reap where they did not sow. Contrary to this, Paul admonished us in today’s bible reading to be patriotic enough to pay our taxes and perform other civic responsibilities that are expected of us.
Our obedience to civic laws should not be by coercion but voluntary, as unto the Lord. The Holy Spirit describes those who are in authority as ministers of God, looking out for our own good (Romans 13:4). It is therefore surprising that some Christians despise their political leaders through their “holier-than-thou” attitude.
Christians who defrauds the government by not paying their tax are no better than the government officials whom they despise for stealing government funds. They will all definitely be judged according to their evil deeds on the last day.
A government worker who is expected to put in eight hours of work but does just three and uses the rest for his or her personal activities is as guilty as those who loot the government treasury with the pen. As an employee, do you really work for the expected amount for which you are been paid?
What do you understand from what the Lord is saying in today’s memory verse? Many people erroneously think giving to Caesar what belong to Caesar means bribing their way into Caesar’s favour. This is not true! Caesar takes receipted tributes, such as taxes, dues and levies and not bribes.
When you pay your taxes, God is happy with you because you are contributing to the wellbeing of the community you live in. This does not however exempt you from paying your tithes, offerings, and first fruit to God. Caesar does not take tithes and offerings, but he must also not be denied his dues and taxes for the construction of roads, bridges and other social amenities.
Notwithstanding, let it not surprise you as I say today that if you pay your tithes and offerings but default in paying taxes, you are guilty of reaping where you did not sow when you enjoy social amenities being provided by the government you refuse to pay taxes to. If you are guilty of this, repent today and begin to go the extra mile of giving back to your community through Christian social responsibility (CSR).
Father, give me all I need to play my role in the society and in Your house, through the payment and my taxes to the government and my tithe and offerings to You.
HYMNAL: Hymn 3 – When we walk with the Lord
1. When we walk with the Lord,
In the light of His word,
What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will
He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.
Trust and obey!
For there’s no other way
To be happy in Jesus,
But to trust and obey.
2. Not a shadow can rise,
Not a cloud in the skies,
But His smile quickly drives it away;
Not a doubt nor a fear,
Not a sigh nor a tear,
Can abide while we trust and obey.
3. Not a burden we bear,
Not a sorrow we share
But our toil He doth richly repay;
Not a grief nor a loss,
Nor a frown nor a cross,
But is blest if we trust and obey.
4. But we never can prove
The delights of His love,
Until all on the altar we lay,
For the favour He shows
And the joy He bestows
Are for them who will trust and obey.
5. Then in fellowship sweet
We will sit at His feet,
Or we’ll walk by His side in the way,
What He says we will do,
Where He sends we will go,
Never fear, only trust and obey.
Open Heaven 17 October 2019 Daily Devotional guide was written by Pastor E.A. Adeboye, the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, one of the largest evangelical church in the world and also the President of Christ the Redeemer’s Ministries.
- RCCG November 2019 30 Days Fasting Prayer Points Day 19
- Open Heaven 19 November 2019 Devotional – In Partnership With God?
- DCLM Daily Manna 19 November 2019 – The Grandeur Of God
- Rhapsody of Realities 19 November 2019 Devotional – Twenty-Four Hour Protection
- Seeds of Destiny 19 November 2019 Devotional – Taming Your Appetite, Taking Your Inheritance