DCLM Daily Manna 7 October 2019 Devotional By Pastor W.F Kumuyi – Religious Hypocrites
TOPIC: Religious Hypocrites
TEXT: Jeremiah 11:15-23
15. What hath my beloved to do in mine house, seeing she hath wrought lewdness with many, and the holy flesh is passed from thee? when thou doest evil, then thou rejoicest.
16. The LORD called thy name, A green olive tree, fair, and of goodly fruit; with the noise of a great tumult he hath kindled fire upon it, and the branches of it are broken.
17. For the LORD of hosts, that planted thee, hath pronounced evil against thee, for the evil of the house of Israel and of the house of Judah, which they have done against themselves to provoke me to anger in offering incense unto Baal.
18. And the LORD hath given me knowledge of it, and I know it; then thou shewedst me their doings.
19. But I was like a lamb or an ox that is brought to the slaughter; and I knew not that they had devised devices against me, saying, Let us destroy the tree with the fruit thereof, and let us cut him off from the land of the living, that his name may be no more remembered.
20. But, O LORD of hosts, that judgest righteously, that triest the reins and the heart, let me see thy vengeance on them; for unto thee have I revealed my cause.
21. Therefore thus saith the LORD of the men of Anathoth, that seek thy life, saying, Prophesy not in the name of the LORD, that thou die not by our hand;
22. Therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts, Behold, I will punish them; the young men shall die by the sword; their sons and their daughters shall die by famine;
23. And there shall be no remnant of them; for I will bring evil upon the men of Anathoth, even the year of their visitation.
DCLM Daily Manna 7 October 2019 – Religious Hypocrites
“What hath my beloved to do in mine house, seeing she hath wrought lewdness with many, and the holy flesh is passed from thee? When thou doest evil, then thou rejoices” – (Jeremiah 11:15).
When an English robber called Captain Thunderbolt escaped the law and moved to the eastern US in 1818, he began practicing medicine. He took on the name Dr. John Wilson. Often, he wore three suits of clothes to escape recognition by making himself look larger and covering up a deformed leg. Just before the man died, he asked his friends to bury him without removing his clothes, his wish was not granted. The mortician was surprised to find scars from wounds and a withered leg. A search of “Dr. Wilson’s” house revealed a stash of watches, jewelry, and diamonds. The sheriff learned that the doctor was in fact Thunderbolt, a thief in disguise.
The children of Israel, their priests and leaders continued in their acts of treachery while still offering sacrifices in the temple. They lost their favour with God through their backsliding and pretence. The Lord promised to destroy them as well as the inhabitants of the priest’s city for planning to kill Jeremiah the prophet, who spoke against their idolatry. They were like a wife that had become a prostitute without any shame.
God would rather deal with raw sinners who understand their situation and are willing to repent, than these religious hypocrites, who sing to Him while hiding their iniquities.
Religious sinners are very difficult to bring around because of their self-righteousness and the assurances they receive from their pastors who, perhaps do not know their real lives. They are blinded by their religious observances and ceremonies, thinking these are enough to take them to heaven. Though their children and relatives may hire many priests and clergymen to officiate at their funerals, they will be doomed at last because of their sinful practices.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Hypocrites are acting their way to hell if they do not repent.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 7 October 2019 Devotional was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.