DCLM Daily Manna 22 September 2019 Devotional By Pastor W.F Kumuyi – Unity Of Purpose
TOPIC: Unity of Purpose
TEXT: 1 Chronicles 12:23-40
23. And these are the numbers of the bands that were ready armed to the war, and came to David to Hebron, to turn the kingdom of Saul to him, according to the word of the LORD.
24. The children of Judah that bare shield and spear were six thousand and eight hundred, ready armed to the war.
25. Of the children of Simeon, mighty men of valour for the war, seven thousand and one hundred.
26. Of the children of Levi four thousand and six hundred.
27. And Jehoiada was the leader of the Aaronites, and with him were three thousand and seven hundred;
28. And Zadok, a young man mighty of valour, and of his father’s house twenty and two captains.
29. And of the children of Benjamin, the kindred of Saul, three thousand; for hitherto the greatest part of them had kept the ward of the house of Saul.
30. And of the children of Ephraim twenty thousand and eight hundred, mighty men of valour, famous throughout the house of their fathers.
31. And of the half tribe of Manasseh eighteen thousand, which were expressed by name, to come and make David king.
32. And of the children of Issachar, which were men that had understanding of the times, to know what Israel ought to do; the heads of them were two hundred; and all their brethren were at their commandment.
33. Of Zebulun, such as went forth to battle, expert in war, with all instruments of war, fifty thousand, which could keep rank; they were not of double heart.
34. And of Naphtali a thousand captains, and with them with shield and spear thirty and seven thousand.
35. And of the Danites expert in war twenty and eight thousand and six hundred.
36. And of Asher, such as went forth to battle, expert in war, forty thousand.
37. And on the other side of Jordan, of the Reubenites, and the Gadites, and of the half tribe of Manasseh, with all manner of instruments of war for the battle, an hundred and twenty thousand.
38. All these men of war, that could keep rank, came with a perfect heart to Hebron, to make David king over all Israel; and all the rest also of Israel were of one heart to make David king.
39. And there they were with David three days, eating and drinking; for their brethren had prepared for them.
40. Moreover they that were nigh them, even unto Issachar and Zebulun and Naphtali, brought bread on asses, and on camels, and on mules, and on oxen, and meat, meal, cakes of figs, and bunches of raisins, and wine, and oil, and oxen, and sheep abundantly; for there was joy in Israel.
“All these men of war, that could keep rank, came with a perfect heart to Hebron, to make David king over all Israel: and all the rest also of Israel were of one heart to make David king” – (1 Chronicles 12:38).
DCLM Daily Manna 22 September 2019 – Unity Of Purpose
MESSAGE: The story is told of a man who, on his dying bed, desired to teach his three sons a lesson on unity and cooperation. He requested for a bunch of broom which he asked each of them to break. This, of course, they could not do. He then told them to untie the broom and attempt to break them stick after stick. This they did very effortlessly and the lesson was not lost upon his sons who vowed to their father that they would always stick together.
David’s route to the kingship of all Israel had been one fraught with many challenges. He ran from Saul’s fury, hiding in caves, mountains and forests. But God’s time for him to be crowned came at last. Being a man of war, he had a well-organised army with an astonishing number of brave and fearless soldiers. Adequate provision was made for a successful coronation.
These men of war gathered at Hebron (verse 40) for the singular purpose of installing David as king. They all came, including the “children of Issachar which were men that had understanding of the times” (verse 32). These men that could keep rank came with “a perfect heart” (verse 38). God is honoured when we unite in love and perfect commitment for a good and noble cause.
David was anointed king at age sixteen but did not become the ruler of both Israel and Judah until about twenty years later. No matter how long it seems, God’s pronouncement and promises must come to pass. God is worth waiting for and His promises are ever sure. Those who wait on Him without wavering shall never be disappointed. God will use every circumstance to fulfil His will for His children.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
God is honoured when we unite for a noble cause.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 22 September 2019 Devotional was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.