DCLM Daily Manna 4 March 2019 Devotional by Pastor W.F Kumuyi
TOPIC: The Sign Of Immanuel
TEXT: Isaiah 7:10-25
10. Moreover the LORD spake again unto Ahaz, saying,
11. Ask thee a sign of the LORD thy God; ask it either in the depth, or in the height above.
12. But Ahaz said, I will not ask, neither will I tempt the LORD.
13. And he said, Hear ye now, O house of David; Is it a small thing for you to weary men, but will ye weary my God also?
14. Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
15. Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.
16. For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.
17. The LORD shall bring upon thee, and upon thy people, and upon thy father’s house, days that have not come, from the day that Ephraim departed from Judah; even the king of Assyria.
18. And it shall come to pass in that day, that the LORD shall hiss for the fly that is in the uttermost part of the rivers of Egypt, and for the bee that is in the land of Assyria.
19. And they shall come, and shall rest all of them in the desolate valleys, and in the holes of the rocks, and upon all thorns, and upon all bushes.
20. In the same day shall the Lord shave with a razor that is hired, namely, by them beyond the river, by the king of Assyria, the head, and the hair of the feet; and it shall also consume the beard.
21. And it shall come to pass in that day, that a man shall nourish a young cow, and two sheep;
22. And it shall come to pass, for the abundance of milk that they shall give he shall eat butter; for butter and honey shall every one eat that is left in the land.
23. And it shall come to pass in that day, that every place shall be, where there were a thousand vines at a thousand silverlings, it shall even be for briers and thorns.
24. With arrows and with bows shall men come thither; because all the land shall become briers and thorns.
25. And on all hills that shall be digged with the mattock, there shall not come thither the fear of briers and thorns; but it shall be for the sending forth of oxen, and for the treading of lesser cattle.
“Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.” – (Isaiah 7:14).
DCLM DAILY MANNA 4 MARCH 2019 DEVOTIONAL MESSAGE:
Men commonly seek for signs to validate the truth concerning a matter. To acheive this, some resort to getting information from dubious sources and sometimes go as far as seeking help of prophets or fortune tellers to unlock the secrets of the unknown future.
From our text, God told Ahaz to ask for a sign, any sign. But the king was really not a friend of God; so he did not ask for a sign, hiding under a false sense of humility. God decided to give him a sign anyway. And the sign was going to be the birth of the child Immanuel through a virgin. This was a prophecy that would take more than five hundred years to be fulfilled, but God gave the sign to let the ungodly Ahaz know that He cares for His people. God called the child Immanuel because He had a plan for His own. Although Ahaz had abandoned the Lord, He will not abandon His people. He is a faithful God who, in the midst of calamities that would befall the land, would provide help and a way of escape for His own.
We have many people today who are seeking for favourable signs while ignoring obvious signs of the end of time. They want to see signs before they will believe the truth of the gospel while conveniently ignoring the signs in the living word of God.
God has given us Immanuel. There is no better alternative to the signs that He gave man. Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life. We should be careful not to behave like the Pharisees of old who were always looking for signs even when God speaks audibly that He is with us (EMMANUEL). The word of God is with us. The witness of the Holy Spirit is in our hearts. The signs are visible enough. Believe them and be blessed.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Many have sight but no vision.
THE BIBLE IN A YEAR: Leviticus 18-20
DCLM Daily Manna 4 March 2019 Devotional was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.